Thursday, July 24, 2008

A NEW DAY (IN THE ANIMAL WORLD)

“It was in the middle of the night, I was curled up in bed, waiting for my mom to snuggle with me. She’s been there a long time, still in that bathroom. What’s taking her so long?” Suddenly, I hear sirens.. shortly after, I hear loud thump of heavy shoes… the thuds were getting louder and louder, then a knock on the door of our house! What the….?

We live in a small condo complex; there are neighbors on both sides of our unit and one above our unit. The men were so noisy, I thought these men shouldn’t knock too loud, they’d attract the neighbor’s attention.

My mom, her face ashen, scrambled to open the door to let those heavy-footed strangers in. When the door opened, I saw them huge and burly men, noisy, although I think they know what they’re doing. All their attention was on my mom. I was filled with fear, so much so that when there was an opening by the door I sneaked out and went under the safety of the bushes to wait out until things calm down. Oh Lord, what could be the problem?

The next thing I know, I see those men again leaving, my mom lying on a contraption with wheels, out of our house. I wanted to ask her, where she was going, but I was so overcome with fear. I guess I won’t be sleeping on a warm bed tonight.

Nor did I sleep on a warm bed the next night, and the next night for a long, long time. My mom never came back. And I was on my own.

It was quite difficult at first. I had to come out from the safety of the bushes to look for mice, insects, creepy crawlies. Then I learned how to climb trees and find nests. I guess I could call myself lucky to find sumptuous meals as bird’s eggs or a newly hatched bird occasionally. Now that’s a real treat!

I learned how to yowl pitifully. Those humans are easy. I start crying out a haunting “meooow,” “meooow” like I was lost and hungry. Or I think back to the day I lost my mom, because she did, and I miss her. Suddenly, these humans of all shapes, sizes and colors: white-skinned, dark-skinned, brown-skinned, old, they’re all alike: they always have something for me when they see me on their patio. Soon enough, it wasn’t that difficult anymore. I practiced that pitiful look on my face, sucked in my cheeks so they look hollow, pleading eyes, perfect! I make my rounds and bingo, dinner’s ready.

My tasks done, my belly full, all I have to do is groom and make sure my scent is everywhere. Oh by the way, I have to be “out there”, make myself visible. So I stay and wait by the condo complex parking lot by 4 to 5 o’clock, and when these humans see me waiting for them, boy, they’re all over me. They’d scratch the side of my face, my chin; I try to look cute for them. Sometimes. I rub my face on their stinky shoes. Hah, the things I do for free cat food, it’s disgusting! But a feline’s got to do what she has to do.

No comments: