Thursday, July 24, 2008

TODAY I BECAME A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

My appointment calendar says:
US Citizenship, 1pm
1201 S. Figueroa
Los Angeles, CA

Feb 3rd, 2006 – Today I was sworn in as a citizen of the United States of America, in a ceremony held at the Los Angeles Convention Center @ 1pm. There was a total of 8,032 new citizens today, 4006 were sworn in this morning and 4,026 people in the afternoon, making us the newest US citizens of the week.

The well-deserved military service personnel/applicants were given the front row seats in this huge arena. In front of them was the stage and a gigantic American flag floating up the rafters. All the would-be citizens in the middle area of the huge arena, while families and friends were all hustled in the back. Each one of us was given a Manila envelope filled with: a small, madi-in-china plastic American flag for you to wave for the camera, and as souvenir perhaps. There were passport application and voter registration forms, and a letter from President George W. Bush.

The area where I lined up was directed to sit at an aisle close to the back. Scanning the horizon, I saw my brother Tony, who is an Immigration Officer so I hollered, “Antonio!” twice and he looked up. He smiled and was a bit surprised to see me there. Unfortunately, he has to keep people moving as part of his job.He later came towards my seat to congratulate me and asked if Brian was around, which I replied that he was in the back.

The ceremony was obligatory with the judge present through the oath of allegiance and the national anthem. President Bush’s speech was good but this song really touched my heart, a song that told the reality of all my 20 years in the United States of America.

GOD BLESS THE USA, by Lee Greenwood

“If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land: God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,
From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart, and it’s time to stand and say:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land: God bless the U.S.A. “ (2x)

So there you have it. Twenty years and 6 days of giving up my children. I end up with no children around. Brian gave me a sleeve for my Naturalization Certificate as his gift, took my picture, and stood by me.

The other noteworthy information we were told today was the top 5 nationalities that applied for citizenship last year were: (in the order of the most applicants)
1. Mexicans
2. Filipinos
3. Vietnamese
4. Chinese
5. Iranian

I hoped and prayed the song also touched the hearts of the newly naturalized American citizens, most especially the ones from Iran, as they must have seen the handwriting on the wall. (Book of Daniel)

No comments: